Looking for the best spray paint for plastic items or plastic objects? Then check out our number one recommendation, plus see our customized plastic storage project!
I have a confession to make. I am jealous. SO jealous. One of my guilty pleasures is peeping in to the studios of other crafters around the world through Pinterest, Facebook posts, blogs and video studio tours – and I am JEALOUS when I see people with custom built ins, or studios that have been curated for years and are filled gorgeous antique pieces that are just perfect…because when you move every two years or so like we do it just isn’t possible. This hack to customize plastic storage drawers is the answer to my nomad prayers!
LET’S TALK BEFORE WE START SPRAY PAINTING:
As you can tell by the title of this post, I am going to be showing you how to customize plastic storage drawers using spray paint. However, before we get into the diy project, I wanted to briefly go over why I recommend using spray paint and not acrylic paint on plastic surfaces (or in this case plastic storage drawers). Also, I wanted to share my favorite brand of spray paint that I LOVE and always use in my projects.
SPRAY CANS VS PAINTBRUSHES
There are tons of different paints out on the market that you ”can use” when updating plastic surfaces or plastic household items. In my experience, I have found that spray painting plastic gives you the best results appearance-wise and saves you a lot of time in the long run. For example, when using spray paint, you can easily achieve that full coverage look and smooth finish by just applying a few coats of paint.
Don’t get me wrong, I love using my paintbrushes and acrylic paints! But, when it comes to plastic, acrylic paint can be a bit of a hassle and can involve more DIY steps. Also, as a general rule, acrylic paint works better on porous surfaces (like wood). This means that if you used it on plastic you would most likely need to sand, prime, paint on several layers of paint and add an acrylic sealer.
So, if you are looking for easy application, quick dry time, and excellent coverage, then go with spray paint!
BEST PAINT: PLASTIC SPRAY PAINT OPTIONS
Being a spray paint girl at heart, I can easily give you a list of the best spray paint options! However, to make this section short, sweet and to the point, my number one recommendation for spray paint is Rust-Oleum!
Rust-Oleum has always been my favorite spray paint brand because they offer a wide variety of colors, their paint works on different surfaces, and I always get even coverage the first time. Also, their paint works great for both indoor use and outdoor use, which is always a bonus!
Now if you can’t get your hand on any Rust-Oleum, you can also use Krylon. I have used Krylon in some of my craft projects and have found that their products also work great on different types of plastics. In addition, they do have a wide range of colors to choose from and offer different finishes (like satin, shiny, etc.).
No matter what brand of spray paint you use, make sure you always check the back of the can to see if it’s the right product for your project. Also, don’t forget to visit different companies’ websites (like Rust-Oleum or Krylon) to learn more about their products and to discover the type of paint they carry both in stores and online.
- Plastic Storage Drawers
- Spray Paint (I am using Rust-Oleum paint)
- Plastic Primer (I am using Valspar)
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE PLASTIC STORAGE DRAWERS
1. Remove the plastic drawers (I used three sets) and spray primer. We applied one coat of primer to each plastic drawer. Then, we set each one aside to dry.
Don did these outside on a sunny day and gave it about 30 minutes.
2. Spray paint the entire surface of your plastic storage frame with your paint color of choice. Then set it aside to dry. Depending on the coverage and look you are wanting, you may need to add another layer of paint.
For this project, we used Rust-Oleum spray paint 2x Ultra Cover Gloss in Seaside. We also did two coats, letting each coat dry for about 30 minutes.
3. To construct the top Don used a half sheet of 3/4″ plywood and a couple of select pine 1″ x 2″s. He measured the length and the width of the three sets of drawers side by side. He then cut the plywood to those dimensions plus 1/2″. He cut and finish nailed the 1″ x 2″ around the edges of the plywood for a more finished look, then filled all the nail holes. He sanded it then did three coats of white spray paint.
And voila! With a fresh coat of paint, we were able to give new life to some plain plastic storage drawers!
Yes – we are STILL plugging away on the studio…progress is coming along slowly (having a brand new puppy has brought my productivity to a halt I confess). But FINALLY having pretty matching storage has really helped me start to pull the room together. Can’t wait to show you what else we’re working on!
Best Spray Paint for Plastic: Customized Storage
PLASTIC STORAGE DRAWERS
- Plastic drawers
- Valspar Primer for Plastic
- Rust-Oleum 2x Ultra Cover Gloss in Seaside
- 3/4″ Plywood
- 1×2'' Pine
PLASTIC STORAGE DRAWERS
- Simply remove the plastic drawers (I used three sets) and spray one coat of primer.
- Spray your paint color of choice. We used Rust-Oleum 2x Ultra Cover Gloss in Seaside.
- Measure the length and width of the three sets of drawers side by side, then cut the plywood to those dimensions and add 1/2″.
- Nail the 1×2''pine around the edges of the plywood for a more finished look, then fill all the nail holes.
- Sand the wood, then paint the wood with a coat of white spray paint (our tabletop needed 3 coats of spray paint).
LOOKING FOR MORE ”WHAT TO DO WITH SPRAY PAINT” IDEAS? THEN CHECK OUT THE PROJECT BELOW!
- DIY Wood Pumpkins
- CRICUT JOY PROJECTS: FARMHOUSE ROUNDS AND FREE SVG
- FREE PUMPKIN PRINTABLES FOR EASY FELT FUN!
- DIY Napkin Rings
- Dollar Tree Crafts: Easter Carrot Wreath
- Easy DIY Easter Decor
- Kitchen SVG and other Free Organization Cutting Files
- Ten Minute DIY Valentine’s Day Pillow
- Personalized Door Hangers and How to Hang Them
- Wood Words + Cricut Explore Air = Custom Wall Art
- Upcycled Kids Desk…and introducing Cricut Access!
- Dollar Tree Pumpkin Makeover
Follow for more!
Make sure to follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Tiktok for all the latest craft projects! Plus you can shop all our favorites over at Kingston Crafts!