This school year will be unlike anything we’ve ever experienced…and now more than ever we know how valuable teachers are in our kids’ lives! Today we’re creating teacher mugs using our Cricut and a free SVG file. What a great (and inexpensive) way to let them know you’re thinking of them!
These teacher mugs can be filled with candy, gift cards, pens and pencils…the possibilities are endless. Even though many of us may not be seeing our kids’ teachers in person we can still show our appreciation as they help us navigate this school year!
DIY Teacher Mugs with FREE SVG
The best part of any Cricut project (besides being easy!) is you can switch up the colors! Whether it’s school colors, the teacher’s favorite color, picked to match the theme of their classroom, etc there are so many vinyl choices available you can customize this any way you like. Don’t want to make a mug? This would make a great tote bag too – just re-size before cutting!
- Teacher’s SVG File
- Cricut Joy (or
other cutting machine) with Fine Point Blade
- Permanent Cricut Smart Vinyl from Beachside Sampler
- Cricut Transfer Tape
- Ceramic Mug (in a color of your choosing)
- Cricut Weeder tool
Ordering from cricut.com? Use code MAKERGROUP2020 for 10% off and FREE shipping on any order over $50. Includes sale and clearance prices, does not include machines (anything with a plug).
HOW TO MAKE Cricut DIY Teacher’s Mug:
1. Gather supplies.
2. Thoroughly wash mug with soap and hot water and let them dry completely before using.
Preparing the Images:
3. Open Cricut Design Space and click on the “+” sign to start a new project (this will open
4. Click on the “Upload” button from the toolbar and browse your downloaded files to insert the SVG file. The cut image will appear on the canvas.
Note: To save the SVG file to your computer, simply click here for the SVG File, then right click and select Save or Save As.
5. With the image selected, click on the “Ungroup” button.
6. Next, click on each individual layer with the same coloring and click on the “Attach” button.
7. Maintain the size or adjust to fit your mug. To adjust the size, highlight the image and click on the size box in the top toolbar. Change the measurement to suit your mug size accordingly.
8. Change the image color if desired to match with the material color.
Cutting the Permanent Smart Vinyl:
1. Select “Make It” in the upper right corner to proceed with cutting.
2. If using Cricut Joy Smart Vinyl, choose “no mat” for cutting.
3. Note the size of the Smart Vinyl needed and cut the length of the vinyl accordingly for each material color.
4. Choose the Smart Vinyl, Permanent from the list of options in the drop down menu.
5. Following the instructions prompted on the screen, cut out the vinyl.
How to Assemble the Mugs
1. Cut around the images with a pair of scissors.
2. Using the weeding tool, peel away the excess vinyl around the cut images and discard.
3. Cut a piece of transfer tape a bit larger than the full size of the image combined.
4. Peel away the transfer tape backing and place the transfer tape overtop one of the cut images. Gently rub the vinyl to help it stick to the transfer tape.
5. Peel away the vinyl backing, leaving just the image adhered to the transfer tape.
Repeat for the other portion of the image in the other vinyl color, positioning the lettering so they are centered. Gently rub the vinyl to help it stick to the transfer tape and peel away the vinyl backing.
6 Carefully consider the placement before applying as the permanent vinyl can’t be removed if placed incorrectly. Position the image with the transfer tape on to the smooth side of the mug and press in place.
If your mug has a curved surface, clip the transfer tape along the edges to help it wrap around the mug.
Press the image down with your fingers to help it to stick to the mug.
7. Slowly remove the transfer tape leaving the vinyl image on the mug.
And voila! In just a few minutes you can create something special (and your kids can help) that your child’s teacher will appreciate every morning when they pour their first cup of coffee!