Want to create a fun craft project but don’t have much time? This week we’re sharing patriotic projects that can be done in 15 minutes or less. First up – small planters from upcycled mugs!
As a proud military
15 MINUTE CRAFTS: SMALL PLANTERS
These small planters take less than 15 minutes from start to finish. Best of all – they use the leftover vinyl scraps I tend to hoard but don’t know what to do with! You can find inexpensive mugs at thrift stores or on sale at mass craft stores (the blue and white one is from Hobby Lobby) and they can be transformed to fit any theme. I created a Valentine’s Day mug (and free svg file to go with it) and loved the result!
CricutMaker (available at Cricut, Michaels, and HSN) – this would work just as well with an Explore Air
- Cricut mat – I used light grip but standard grip works perfectly too!
- Cricut vinyl – I used Premium in White and Glitter in Crimson Red
- Cricut Transfer Tape
- Cricut Basic Tool Set
- assorted mugs
TUTORIAL: HOW TO MAKE CUSTOM SMALL PLANTERS
- Choose an image in Design Space or upload your own. I used two images from these free SVG files my friends and I created just in time for the Summer!
2. Resize images to fit mugs and cut from vinyl scraps, then remove excess vinyl.
3. Add transfer tape to vinyl image, use Cricut scraper to burnish vinyl on to transfer tape and remove backing.
4. Center vinyl on to mug and burnish with scraper.
5. Gently remove transfer tape.
6. Add small plant and enjoy!
7. If you are a beginner or looking for an even quicker project idea, simply take a star image and add to a patterned mug. The Cricut Glitter vinyl adds all the extra pizzaz you need!
I hope this will get you to look at mugs (and scraps of vinyl) in a whole new way – can’t wait to see what you create! Looking for more great project ideas? The Country Chic Cottage created this Uncle Sam home decor from a few pieces of scrap wood and some paint! Love it!
Also, if you are looking for a great resource for DIY summer craft tutorials, then check out All Free Holiday Crafts! I have some of my projects posted there, but you can find tons of amazing DIYs to make for a variety of holidays (like the 4th of July)!